Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tiffany Running as Fast as She Has Strength

On March 28th I ran in a 5K race that our stake (church) sponsered. I had started running one time around our neighborhood (approx. 1/2 mile) months ago and came through the door gasping for breath. Emily was really scared, like I would keel over any second. I tried it again after a couple of months of weight training at the YMCA and it wasn't quite so bad. (Although I noticed some unsolicited jiggling in the middriff section AND the back side which was disturbing!)Then at the beginning of March, when Sr. D was out of town and then sick, I didn't want to go to the YMCA by myself, so I picked up running around the neighborhood again and wondered if I could go further than the 1/2 mile. When I found out about the 5K, I set a goal. Each week I upped the run another lap around the street. (5 kilometers = 3.106 miles)
The day of the race was freezing! I don't know the temp, but there was a good, strong wind that blew right through me. I was nervous. I had only run 2 1/2 miles up to that point but figured I could keep right on and my adrenaline would push me through. Sr. D and Emily came to cheer me on and I did it! I didn't stop running the whole time. There were people I passed who were walking. Then they would sprint ahead of me, then start walking and I would keep a slow, steady lope and pass them. It was funny.




The stake had many other things going on that day too, like a 1 mile family walk, presentations by a chiropractor, nutritionist, podiatrist, and a weatherman on hurricane preparedness; food storage displays, and the fulltime missionaries had displays up and helped out with the races. A hospital also brought over a moving lab to do free blood screenings to test cholesterol levels and I got mine tested. The results came back in a normal range. Whew! Sr. D wanted to take a picture of the lady taking my blood, "so that I could blog it". So he took a picture, but I will spare you the image!

They gave medals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in age/sex categories and I came in 1st in the 40-42 "girls"! I think I only heard them announce a 2nd place winner, so there may have been only 2 of us, but hey! I'll take it!

I had a great time and I have kept running. I run 3 times a week and lift weights twice a week. On the days I run, we go to the YMCA and I do arms and upper body for 10 min. or so and then I run home, it's almost 2 miles and it feels great. (Especially when I finish!) I can actually feel an increased strength in my heart, lungs and legs. And I don't feel those jigglies anymore!

5 comments:

Amy Coons said...

Wow, wow, WOW!!! I'm so honestly impressed Tiff!! Running has NEVER been a forte of mine. I think I remember being part of a 5K in Los Altos with the elementary school or something, and I was mad once the race started and I realized how long it was going to be. I did the Easter Run once with the stake there too. You have now heard the two running-long-than-a-lap races I've ever been in. Sad huh? KEEP IT UP TIFF!!! (And what happened to the jiggles...did you get stiffer exercise clothes? :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I can't even run a mile. I'm not really a person who is good and fast at running. Keep up the good work.
~Julie:)

Damon Janis said...

I'm amazed too. I guess now that you aren't chasing toddlers anymore you need another outlet for all that extra energy.

John and Sue said...

I talked to you the day that you had been in the race, and you filled me in on your running, but it was so fun to now see the pictures! I am proud of you for being so dedicated (but I am also envious since I probably couldn't even run to the mailbox and back home again). Maybe now that the weather is getting warmer, Dad and I will begin walking in the mornings again. You are a great example to us - keep up the pace!
Love, Mom

Shelby Bingham said...

I echo Mom, Amy and Julie's comments -- running just hasn't been my "thing" and you are very inspirational to us, Tiff! I did hear or read that having a baby is equal to running a marathon -- so apparently I've run more marathons than Jeff (and Mom has us all beat!)Hahaha! Anyway, Tiff, you rock!