Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Emily had two friends go trick-or-treating with her and they coordinated their costumes and went as 50's girls.
Our ward does an annual trunk-or-treat on Halloween, before it gets dark so that the kids can get twice as much candy as they normally would. (Just kidding, I don't know why, it's just the tradition!) We went. Taylor got a mask (above) and a tail (below) to show Halloween spirit. The tail came from Target's $1 section. The friend he's with below is Hardy and his brother went as Laurel. It was quite creative.
Remember the Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds? Well, at a nearby intersection each fall, for about a month, we get a colony of purple martins that remind me of that movie. Each night there are thousands of them that cover telephone lines, trees, and store roofs. The air is just thick with them. I just can't photograph this phenomenon with justice, but I thought it appropriate to blog about it on Halloween!

4 comments:

Amy Coons said...

Cute 50's girls! It's so fun to dress-up with friends. :) And we get these huge flocks of birds too. They'll fly from backyard to backyard sometimes. Ours is a popular one because there aren't many trees, just a big field. I remember once in particular driving actually in CT and I swear it was a tens of thousands of birds. I don't remember these flocks in CA...do you?

Shelby Bingham said...

I know Julie would have loved to have gone out with Emily and her friends -- sorry it didn't work out! I've seen those birds too, Tiff. It's pretty loud too! I don't remember that many birds in CA, Amy, but I do remember when we would see some on a wire or on a water tank Dad would say they were having a meeting -- we all thought that was funny! :)

John and Sue said...

Great Halloween pictures! Emily and her friends looked very sweet.(I also saw Julie's picture in her 50's costume. It would have been fun for her and Emily to have been together for Halloween.)
As for the birds, we do have some migrating flocks come through Modesto every year. They line the power lines along Oakdale Road. However, I don't think we have as many as you all describe there.

heather lorraine said...

haha look at taylor's lap- cupcake crumbs all over, some mid-fall. haha. oh tay tay.